Recently a DIY (Do It Yourself) health method has surfaced becoming very popular. This method is used to support oral health and involves the use of sesame oil, which has been found to bring along many health benefits.
Sesame oil is an edible vegetable oil derived from sesame seeds. This popular method using sesame oil is called oil pulling. It’s as simple as rinsing your mouth with oil. Oil pulling is done by swishing a table soon of sesame oil in your mouth for about 10 minutes then spitting it out.
What are the benefits of sesame oil for your oral health:
- Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws
- Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
- Prevention for bad breath
- Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
- Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
- Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area
Other possible benefits of sesame oil:
- Migraine headache relief
- Reducing inflammation of arthritis
- May help reduce sinus congestion
- Some people report improved vision
- Reduces the symptoms of allergies
Sesame oil reduces plaque, bacteria to fight gingivitis and it can remineralize tooth enamel. Sesame oil is also used to cook foods like noodles and vegetables.
This method has been discussed for centuries as a way to improve oral health, however you can do your research online to find out if oil pulling is right for you. If you have any questions regarding methods for improving oral health give Dr. Poser’s office a call.