Did you know humans can recognize a smile up to 300 feet away!? Smiles are the universal sign of happiness, but studies have also shown smiling has positive effects on your life in general.
5 Benefits of Smiling: (Source: lifehack.org)
- Endorphins are released when you smile naturally: Endorphins are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Smiling lowers stress and anxiety: Smiling isn’t always the natural reaction to stressful situations, but a study showed participants who were smiling had lower heart rates than those with a neutral facial expression.
- Smiles are contagious: Ever started smiling because someone smiled at you? This is because of complex brain activity that occurs when you see someone smiling, smiles are contagious. Smiles are positive expressions. Spreading positivity can be self-rewarding and good for others to receive.
- Boost immune system: Smiling decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Smiling can lead to laughter: Laughing has its own benefits including physical, mental and social benefits.
Whether your smile is flashing metal or pearly white, it’s important to smile to boost your mood and feel great. We want to also make sure your showing off a healthy smile. Visit our oral hygiene page to make sure your take the proper steps to having a healthy smile.